Saturday, 24 October 2009

To eat or not to eat?

Autumn is in full swing. This morning I found many yellow funnel-shaped mushrooms submerged in wet green moss beds. After careful studying at home, I compared pictures and descriptions in several mushroom fieldguides, I could not pinpoint them down to one species. I still doubt between the tasty Chanterelle (Cantharellus cibarius/Hanekam) and the non-edible False Cantharelle (Hygrophoropsis aurantiaca/Valse Hanekam). When making this photo, I used diffuse silver-coated cardboard as reflection screens to get a bit more light to the gills.
Is there an expert that could help me out with the identification?
The first comment even offers a 3-rd possibility: Jack O'Lantern (Omphalotus illudens/Lantaarnzwam) which is however very rare in The Netherlands.


Unknown said...

The secret for identifying Chanterelles is in the gill structure. Beware of the poisonous Jack-O-Lantern mushroom. Here is a link that shows the gill difference...


Nice photos, thanks!

Gerard Schouten said...

Hi Sparky,
Thanx for the info, I looked at the web-sites. Jack-O-Lantern gill structure looks pretty similar; it is however an extremely rare mushroom in The Netherlands.
So I still go tentatively for Cantharelle.
Again, thanks a lot.