Sunday 13 November 2011

Alien between lichens

One of those grey autumn Sundays. I went with Jarno van Bussel to the Strabrechtsche Heide to search for Jack Snipes (Lymnocryptes minimus/Bokje), which we did not find. There was not much to do. When we were about to go home I saw a trunk covered with Lichens (Cladonia cf./Bekermos), the ones with red caps (here just tiny spots) are also known as British Soldiers, and decided to try some macros. I bend over to take a closer look, and then I saw this Common Newt (Lissotriton vulgaris/Kleine Watersalamander). I choose a wide aperture (short DOF) to emphasize the E.T. look of this amphibian, and of course to have a shutter time that is fast enough to shoot without tripod. After the photo session the newt crawled under the trunk, probably to winter there.

* Canon EOS 5D Mark II with 100mm/f2.8; ISO-800, f5.6, 1/100s; hand held.

No comments: