Saturday 12 April 2014

Into the Cuckooflowers

It was a beautiful morning with fog. I went to a small wet forest area called “Heerendonk” close to the village where I grew up. This is where it all started. For many subsequent years (in the ‘90’s) I carried out a bird monitoring project in this forest. Those were the days of breeding Nightingales (Luscinia megarhynchos/Nachtegaal), and Golden Oriole (Oriolus oriolus/Wielewaal). Today I was here to search for resting butterflies between the flowing Cuckooflowers (Cardamine pratensis/Pinksterbloem). All in all I found 4 Orangetips (Anthocharis cardamines/Oranjetip), 7 Green-veined Whites (Pieris napi/Klein Geaderd Witje), and 1 Small White (Pieris rapae/Klein Koolwitje). Oh, and I also heard my first Cuckoo (Cuculus canorus/Koekoek) of the year!

* Canon EOS 5D Mark II, 70-200mm/f2.8 @ 180 mm; ISO-200, f5, 1/320s; +0.7 stop; hand held.

No comments: